Did you know that approximately 18 million men have Erectile Dysfunction (ED) in the U.S.? Statistics also show that older men are more susceptible to this condition than younger people.
Keep reading this article and understand ED thoroughly, including its treatment and medications.
Understanding an Erection
Have you ever wondered what causes an erection? During sexual arousal, men experience increased blood flow to the corpora and the cavernosa, the penis’ two spongelike, cylindrical structures. With this sudden blood influx, an erection occurs as the penis expands, straightens, and stiffens.
So, what is erectile dysfunction? As a possible sign of a physical or psychological condition, Erectile dysfunction is the inability of a man to get or maintain an erection firm enough for sexual activity.
Issues that can Cause Difficulty Getting or Maintaining an Erection
- The brain is not sending the right signals to your penis
- Lack of enough blood flow to your penis
- Damaged erectile tissue
And that brings us to the physical and psychological factors that can lead to ED, which include the following;
- Heart disease
- Hormonal imbalance
- High blood pressure
- Relationship issues
What are the Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction?
Although no permanent solution to ED exists, there are numerous ways of improving your sexual performance. For example;
- Regular exercise helps enhance blood flow throughout the body.
- Eating a healthy diet helps avoid being overweight, thus maintaining a healthy weight.
- Lifestyle changes like quitting smoking
- Testosterone replacement therapy can increase a person’s testosterone levels.
- Wave therapy can boost blood flow to the penis.
- A pump can be an excellent temporary fix for Erectile Dysfunction for men who cannot get prescription medications, like those over 70 years old.
The Best Erectile Dysfunction Medication
The good news is that all ED medications, from Viagra to Cialis and Stendra, work similarly. Typically, these medications inhibit Phosphodiesterase type 5 enzymes. This process subsequently increases blood flow and dilation of the blood vessels.
Therefore, they are the three best ways to manage your Erectile Dysfunction.
Why choose Viagra over other Erectile Dysfunction Medications?
Because Viagra works quickly for most men, it can start to affect as little as 15 minutes for many men and can last up to 4 hours with multiple erections.
It is essential to note that an ongoing ED problem can affect your self-confidence and cause stress. It can also contribute significantly to relationship issues. Therefore the recommendation is to talk to your doctor if you are concerned about ED.