Telehealthcare refers to remote medical care conducted through telecommunications, such as phone calls and videoconferencing by medical professionals. Fortunately, telehealth has been embraced in the modern world, and it’s now the best alternative to face-to-face clinic visits for hypertension management.
Almost half of the US adult population (45%) have high blood pressure. However, only one out of five adults can manage the condition. That said, it has become a mystery for scientists to control high blood pressure, also known as hypertension, despite understanding it’s the primary cause of cardiovascular-related deaths in the United States.
The patient is taught the basics, like testing the pressure and the type of meal to take. Usually, pharmacists or nurses conduct telehealth practices by monitoring blood pressure and offering other care practices through phone calls or video chats. Also, they have an excellent time consulting medical experts online and getting the necessary counseling.
Clinical Workforce specialist Robyn Weiss says they have many telehealth benefits like:
- Connection to rural hypertension patients.
- Reducing travel times.
- Reduced wait time to see a health care provider.
- Better access to bilingual patients’ interpreters.
- Avoidance of “white coat hypertension” and stress.
During telehealth treatment, the patient should be well organized. Here are some of the ways to prepare, according to Robyn:
- Be tagged with necessary technology like a portable camera and computer for video calls.
- Write down questions to ask the professional beforehand.
- Look for an insurance provider, although not all insurances cover telehealth.
Telehealthcare was embraced during the Covid 19 pandemic. And to reap the benefits of this health care, you need to have the best practices to control your blood pressure at home:
- Avoid caffeinated drinks and smoking before testing the pressure.
- It’s advisable to sit with your back and legs straight.
- Refrain from measuring the reading over clothes.
It would be best if you also embraced taking the readings at the same time of the day. A good time with a health professional will help you get lifestyle counseling, a vital aspect of hypertension care.